Wednesday 9 July 2008

Come On (Come On)

I noticed that Pete Best has got a new album coming out!
Pete has eventually done quite well out of the Beatles in recent years has he not? …the Anthology project certainly has made him a “few bob” no doubt and who would grudge him a single penny? I most certainly wouldn’t. However there are a couple of things in the press releases that bother me. One is this comment, I assume from the record company, and it beggars belief really:

"What can I say, this album far outreached my wildest expectation., I just didn't expect what I received. It's as good as anything The Beatles did at their peak, unbelievable. I'm blown away," says Arnie Holland, CEO of Lightyear Entertainment.

Oh well, easily pleased then Arnie yes?
I’m sure it’s a competent album but come on….It’s as “good as ANYTHING the Beatles did at their peak”?
Puul-eeesssee!
Do us a favour would you?…it’s bad enough saying it in print and it’s even worse to USE it as part of the publicity!
There are very few things (if any) as good as anything the Beatles did at their peak.

It’s get a grip material it really is.

The other thing apparently is that, “The album in true Liverpudlian flavor, shows Best as one of the cornerstones of the original sounds of the Beatles
I mean really.
One of the “cornerstones of the original sounds of the Beatles”?
It could be argued that the Beatles sound didn’t arrive until they had Ringo Starr playing drums. It’s just a personal opinion here, but I think the Beatles were a fairly appalling band pre-Ringo times. There is just no spark in any of the totally flat and lifeless recordings that were made and the drumming is awful to my ears. It’s no wonder they were rejected by every record company up and down the land.

Don’t get me wrong here, I applaud anyone who gets their hands dirty, gets down to the nitty gritty of getting some songs together and then putting them out as an album. It’s a very difficult route, especially in this day and age when the population at large just doesn’t give a flying burrito about buying music anymore.
The truth is that the easy bit is making the album.

I wish the very best of luck to you Pete.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you here. As much as I don't begrudge Pete anything, the simple reason why he was pushed out the band was he wasn't a great drummer! If listening to the Decca Tapes hadn't already convinced anyone, go & have another liten to the 'Pete Best' version of Love Me Do on Anthology 1 - terrible. Think Artie Fufkin or whatever his name is at Pete's record company needs to engage brain before mouth!