Wednesday 17 September 2008

PMC 7067/8

During recent months there seems to have been a bit of a renewed interest in the The Beatles album, given that it is now forty years since its release. On my first listen to the album many moons ago, I found it quite a difficult one. It has to be said though, that I was only nine years old when I did so! Even at that point though, I knew there were some classic songs on there, coupled with some not so classic ones (well, in my nine year old opinion. My grown up opinion has somewhat changed!). As I said, with all the recent interest in it, it begs the question; is the White Album the purest and most honest Beatles album of all? Further, could it possibly be a better album than Pepper?
The White album sounds like a relief to me in some ways. It’s like they were slightly sick of being at the cutting edge the whole time and just wanted to rock out, soak up the zeitgeist and just do what came naturally, rather than make it unique for the sake of it. Although being The Beatles, they still managed to be unique in any case as for them it was a totally natural thing to do with the ridiculous levels of creativity buzzing around that group at any one time. It sounds like a reaction to the previous year of momentous and trailblazing production. That kind of work in the studio must have taken a toll mentally – and so the Indian trip couldn’t have come at a better time one imagines. Space required and much needed no doubt. It gave them the chance to “get it all out” and recharge the Beatle batteries. This is slightly more than apparent from one listen to the excellent Purple Chick deluxe 12 disc set of relevant materials.

What I love about the White album is that there is a sense of the home made about it, and there is great atmosphere in some of the recordings. Martha My Dear certainly doesn’t cut any new ground but it has that log fire burning in the background kind of quality to it and it isn’t a million miles away from one of the directions Mr McCartney would be composing along come the Seventies. I’m thinking You Gave Me The Answer or My Baby’s Request, for example. As I said, The Beatles are also soaking up influences around them with much heavier guitars and less microphone separation apparent in a lot of the songs – think of Yer Blues or Helter Skelter. These are fantastic examples of a band quite obviously enjoying themselves just being a band. The album is simply dotted with classics and in my opinion they are just as revolutionary as Pepper because it’s like the opposite side of the mirror. The band was using Abbey Road to the full with all three of the studios in use at the same time on some occasions. From the sleeve to the content it reeks of class and honesty. However, I am sure there are songs on the album which are not that popular amongst fans. The usual suspects might include Rocky Racoon, Don’t Pass Me By or dare I say it Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (which certainly isn’t one my own favourites – but it has its place nevertheless)
Of course a big talking point has always been Revolution No 9. I think if you look at it as a “song” included on a Beatles album, then it tends to defy that description. However, if you look at it as an experiment or a soundscape like some kind of audio painting, then its relevance is obvious in that it’s another example of the band pushing the barriers. It is also a monument to drug induced over indulgence of course. It is however not unlike some of the Liverpool Soundcape album! Paul was the walrus on that one and has said many times that he was the avant garde one in the band originally. So, in some respects Revolution No9 is an example of Paul kicking the ball and John running with it.

The tension in the band is evident on this record too. For example, Paul is playing more drums than required really and we all know why that was. The seeds of their demise are in evidence on this record but even in the face of that, they still managed to push out tracks which left the opposition standing. A cursory look down the track list makes their genius obvious. In many ways there isn’t a bad track on the album and I disagree with George Martin’s opinion that it would have made a great single album – it’s just a great album – period! If the goal was to make another Pepper or Revolver type album then yes, he’s probably right. They would return to that type of album-making with Abbey Road. Somehow though, that doesn’t seem to be the point of the White Album. I love the honesty of the record and the fact that it’s not wearing any make up, that there is the odd blemish on there and that the production is simpler, although it has to be said that you get the idea that the band were just shattered by the end of the production process.
Although it was stated on Let It Be that it was a “new phase” Beatles album, I believe that it was this album that was the new phase sound. Straight up, go ahead, punch you right on the nose rock n roll. I think pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the White album is an amazing piece of work. It’s cynical, quirky, full of humour, stripped back to basics, honest, musically brilliant. It’s audacious and out on a limb. It’s envelope stretching top of the heap brilliance. For me the White album is genius. Four sides, four guys and one band. It strips away the pomp and pretension of the previous (and wondrous) year to reveal a band very much at odds with itself but still shaking nevertheless and blowing everything else away.

2 comments:

Paul (the) K said...

Nice one... If I had the ego I'd like to think my comments last time were a sort of "Paul kicks the ball & the Beatcomber runs with it" (to paraphrase your good self!) but my subscription to Mojo dashes any such thoughts all too well... 8-)

The White Album stands proud just as it is, impervious to all attacks. The so-called warts all have a place & without any of them it would be diminished (& yes, I'm including "DPMB", which is Fab anyway, "Wild Honey Pie" etc etc.). It is, apart from anything else, a masterful assembly; the time spent on the running order was extraordinarily well spent (putting the two "full" band performances with Macca failing to play drums back to back at the start of side 1 aside, naturally!).

At the risk of being a bit of a bore on that one, these are really the only two Macca "drum" parts I have an issue with on the album. The few other tracks where he is playing drums/percussion are Macca solo outings with NO other Beatles present. For instance, I agree that "Martha My Dear" is a great little tune. I certainly can't object to it just because George isn't playing guitar, so I can hardly complain because Ringo isn't playing drums now, can I? The only 2 tracks where Ringo was absent from the BAND & the sessions are the two I've bored you with already. Strewth, can you imagine "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" or "Cry Baby Cry" or " "Sexy Sadie" without Ringo?!?

Rev 9 - said it all last time - I love being scared out of my wits by it, love spotting new things in it, love wondering where the Hell John's head was at, love picturing the expression on George Martin's face the first time he heard it.. priceless!! 8-)

Your idea about the more natural approach being a reaction to Pepper is spot on in my view & is mirrored in the work of other groups around the same time, notably the Beach Boys; surely the more relaxed, laid back approach on "Wild Honey" & "Friends" was a direct reaction to the trials of "Smile"..?!?

Right, that's enough, I'm off to play "EGSTHEFM&MM".. Makes me grin from ear to ear!! 8-)

Capitán Centollo M.B.E. said...

Hi!
I do agree to what you say. And I share some of your points of view. For example, I too listened to the album at an early age (I was born in '69 and The White Album was probably the first non-compilation album by The Beatles I bought). It was shocking to me! It was too much! I couldn't understand that behind "Helter Skleter" and "Long Long Long" there were the same bunch of people. I couldn't understand how, after a terrorific, nightmarish "Revolution 9", they were able to wish us "Good Night". How could it be that "Helter Skelter" and "I Will" had been written by the same guy? I was hypnotised by The Beatles, by the absurdity of the lyrics of "Everybody's Got..." and the intricacies of "Julia", by the weird simplicity of "Don't Pass Me By" and its peculiar lyrics (what footsteps is he listening to? those of the girl coming back after a car crash, with her boyd covered in blood while he is acting like a jealous man thinking of a revenge?), or the revenge latent in "Rocky Raccoon" (who is another loser, another sad character... one more in the songs of McCartney, who to me seems specially fond of lonely people).
Nowadays, 40 years after its release, this album is starting to win the place it deserves in rock history: this album represents, to me, the essence of The Beatles. That's what they were: a compendium of music genres, an ever-expanding palette of musical languages, a group of people impossible to define and wanting to expand their minds (expanding ours as a consequence).
What an album! Listening to it should be compulsory to understand the different tendencies of popular music in the XX century: rock, punk, pop, power pop, variety, music hall, pastiche, crooning...
The White Album opened my mind to what being a good rock'n'roll band meant: no frontiers, no barriers, no stylistic limitations... Everything is possible.
Thanks.